Spiritual disciplines are invitations for the Spirit of God to enter an arena where together we will battle against the flesh. The spiritual disciplines I’ll be engaging this month are prayer and asceticism.
This will build up a habit of daily prayer.
- I’m committed to praying 🙏 every day once in the morning and once in the evening.
Asceticism is defined as acts of self-denial. Detaching from the things of the world.
Help us turn from the things of this world (the desire of the flesh) to God (the desire of the Spirit)
- cold showers 🚿🛀☔️❄️ (max 30 seconds)
- Practice regular, intense exercise 🏃
- Get a full night’s sleep (min 7 hours) 😴
- no desserts & sweets 🍰🍦🍮🍧
- Abstain from television, movies, or televised sports.
- Abstain from video games.
- no major material purchases 💰💸💵
- Only use the computer for work, school, or essential tasks (e.g., paying bills).
- Only use mobile devices for essential communications; cut out non-essential texting, app, and internet use.